One of our favourite things is lemon, anything lemon, we’re talking Lemon Pie, Lemon Cake, Lemon Curd, Lemon Meringues, Lemonade, Lemon Tarts, Lemon Icing, Lemon Chicken….. and especially Lemon Delicious and Lemon Slice!
So when life….. (you know how it goes)
1/3 Cup Castor Sugar
1 Tbsp Cornflour (Corn Starch)
1 1/3 Cups Plain Flour
150g Butter – Cold Cubed
1 ts Vanilla Essence
2/3 Cup Lemon Juice
4 Eggs (small to med, 3 if large)
1 tsp Lemon Rind – finely grated
1/3 Cup Plain Flour
Icing Sugar – Dusting to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius and prepare lamington/slice pan with butter and baking paper of alfoil.
2. In the food processor add the dry ingredients then whilst pulsing add 1 cube of butter at a time, after all butter cubes are added then mix in the vanilla. The mixture should be crumbly.
3. Press the mix into the prepared pan and press down evenly into a firm base at an even level.
4. Prick the base all over with a fork. Place in the oven and bake the base for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven to cool.
6. To make the topping first squeeze the juice of lemons into the bowl (2/3 cup should be approx 2-3 sml to med lemons).
7. Crack eggs seperately and and whisk then add to the lemon juice (dont crack straight in as the citrus will burn the egg whites), mix well.
8. Add the rind finely grated and the flour and stir together until all ingredients are well combined.
9. Pour the topping mix over the base, only when the base is cool to touch.
10. Place back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.
Makes – 15 to 18 squares
Recipe adapted from the Retro Womens Weekly Cookbook.