Little Miss 8 LOVES her pickles, amzingly she loves alot of unusual foods (in my books) but that are really good for her health. Fermented or pickled foods is something that is great for the gut, if you can hook your kidlets onto them, fantastic. A great way to get them hooked, is to get them into the kitchen to help prepare them.
Here we have a really simple pickling recipe for Pickles! Just like at McDonalds sshhhh.
5-7 Cucumbers (Continental or Gerkins) – Sliced
1 Lrg or 2 Sml Brown Onions – Finely Sliced
1 Tbsp Salt
1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
1 Cup Castor Sugar
2 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Coriander Seeds (can use fennel seeds)
1. Put all of the sliced cucumbers and onions into a large glass bowl.
2. Sprinkle with the salt.
3. Cover with gladwrap and set aside for 24 hours.
4. Rinse the cucumber onion mixture in a colander until cold water.
5. Pat dry with paper towel.
6. In a medium saucepan, put your remaining ingredients of the vinegar, sugar, both mustard and coriander seeds and the tumeric.
7. Cook over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolves, this will take approx 4-5 minutes.
8. Now add the cucumber mixture and bring to a simmer.
9. Whilst hot pour your cucumber mix (pickles) into your sterilised/prepared jars.
Link on how to sterilise jars :